Career Education involves a sequence of courses that integrates core academics with technical coursework to provide students with a pathway to jobs, career advancement or postsecondary education.
Career Education offers:
- In-demand programs, certificates, credentials and degrees
- Work and education through college and employer sponsored programs
- Improved skills through constant monitoring of industry standards and job forecasts
- Access to many of the latest technologies and equipment
- Improved advancement opportunities
- Higher wages
Career Education programs offer quality, hands-on education and skills building that allow individuals to thrive in the workforce and in their communities.
Southwestern College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC). Accredited colleges are recognized by the United States Department of Education (DOE) as providing educational programs, services, and training that meet acceptable levels of quality.
Southwestern College has maintained its accredited status since it opened in 1961.
The accreditation process assists colleges in improving institutional effectiveness to ensure colleges offer high quality educational programs and services. During the 2015-2022 Accreditation Cycle, Southwestern College continues its focus on providing the community with high quality educational programs and services. Areas of particular focus include:
- Supporting Student Learning Outcome (SLO) assessment and the use of SLO results to make improvements
- Bolstering Distance Education (DE) offerings and services
- Maintaining an environment that promotes inclusivity, civility, and diversity
- Southwestern College has maintained its accredited status since it opened in 1961.
View the Statement of Accreditation Status (SAS) issued by ACCJC.
Members of the Southwestern College community, including students, may make a formal complaint to the ACCJC regarding the College on issues related to accreditation standards. The Commission maintains the ACCJC Complaints Process website with web forms for submitting complaints against a member institution, like Southwestern College, or a complaint against the Commission itself. While students and the community are free to use this option to register a complaint, we encourage students to use existing complaint processes found on the Office of Student Services website, which includes an online Incident Report Form.
Child Development Center
Welcome to the Southwestern College Child Development Center web page! Here you will find a host of information on our facility, including current tuition fees, curriculum approach, and an application.
The Child Development Center was established out of a desire to provide convenient, affordable child care services to the students and staff of Southwestern College, as well as to the residents of nearby communities. The Center currently serves an average of 144 children – ages 2 to 5 years – per day in six classrooms and focuses on the individuals needs of each child.
Southwestern College Child Development Center embraces and supports the individuality of each child in an authentic, emerging learning environment while modeling best practices and providing quality training for students.
The Center is inspired by the Reggio Emilia Approach and emergent curriculum. The Reggio Emilia Approach is based on several core principles: parent involvement, enriched setting and collaboration among parents, teachers, children and the community. This educational philosophy developed within the town of Reggio Emilia , a community in northern Italy shortly after World War II. These schools encourage children to explore their environment and express themselves through their natural languages.
Emergent projects are in department studies of concepts, ideas and interests that arise within the group. Staff pose ideas and children provide feedback that creates the direction of the project. Parents and the community can also be part of this process.
Southwestern Community College District is the premier public institution of higher education in Southern San Diego County that serves a diverse community of students by providing quality academic programs, comprehensive student support services that ensure equitable access, and clear pathways to student success.
Southwestern Community College District promotes learning and success to prepare students to become critical thinkers and engaged life-long learners/global citizens. The District is committed to continuous improvements through the use of data-informed planning, implementation, and evaluation.
Southwestern Community College District utilizes a variety of instructional modalities to provide educational and career opportunities in the following areas: Associate degree and certificate programs, transfer, professional, technical and career advancement, foundational skills, personal enrichment, and continuing education.
Governing Board approved March 10, 2020
Southwestern College is the leader in equitable education that transforms the lives of students and communities.
Student Success – Southwestern College provides a student-centered environment, through equitable access, opportunity, support, and clear pathways that enable students to achieve their educational and professional goals.
Equity – Southwestern College intentionally identifies and removes barriers to cultivate success for all, and purposely addresses the effects of systemic inequities.
Scholarship – Southwestern College inspires students to become lifelong learners and responsible global thinkers.
Professional Excellence – Southwestern College continuously supports and educates all employees to ensure effective collaboration, support student success, and uphold the highest professional standards.
Cultural Proficiency – Southwestern College engages in cultural proficiency by providing a rich learning environment that embraces our cultural differences and experiences.
Sustainability of Stewardship – Southwestern College utilizes natural, financial and physical resources effectively, equitably, and respectfully.
Community – Southwestern College bridges the gap between higher education, civic engagement, and economic well-being to the community we serve.
Inclusionary Practices – Southwestern College actively honors and respects diversity to foster a safe and welcoming community where all are inspired to participate and realize a sense of belonging.
Southwestern College is pleased to offer our South County residents and business community a wide variety of high-quality courses and programs through our Continuing Education Office.
We provide students with extended studies designed to support professional advancement and personal success. There are no transcripts or grades; many are tuition-free, while other offerings require a nominal fee.
We encourage you to review our Continuing Education Schedule (PDF) to see which course or program is right for you. We look forward to partnering with you as your life-long learning center and primary choice for higher education.
Important News and Updates
- From June 1 – August 12, 2021, office hours for the Summer Semester will be Monday – Thursday from 7:30am-6:00pm. We are closed Friday-Sunday.
- Online registration is open! View our summer schedule for our upcoming course offerings.
- New! – Subscribe to our interest list and stay up-to-date with the latest SWC Continuing Education news and course offerings, delivered straight to your email inbox.
- A Drive-Up WiFi Zone is available for students who do not have access to the internet, and is located right by the Campus Police Building (Parking Lot D). A Southwestern College ID on the student’s car dashboard is needed for verification OR a printed copy of the student’s registration statement or class schedule. The WiFi Zone is available everyday from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- A technology loaner program is available for students who do not have access to technology at home and are in need of a loaner computer to participate in credit or noncredit courses. Learn more and submit a request for the CONNECTS Student Loaner Program.
- SWC Cares provides a wide variety of support and services for students, including food, financial aid assistance, personal wellness resources and more. To learn more, visit SWC Cares.